Plantain stem kootu recipe | Vazhlaithandu kootu is a tasty side dish for rice, prepared with healthy banana stem, toor dal, coconut, spices and salt. Benefits of banana stem
- plantain stem / banana stem / vazhaithandu- 10 inch piece
- toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1 cup (cooked)
- red chillies / vara milagai – 3 number
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- grated coconut – 2 tblsp
- salt / uppu – to taste
1. Cook toor dal with 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder and keep it ready. Chop plantain stem into fine pieces and put in a container with water mixed with 2 tsp’s of buttermilk.
2. Fry red chillies, urad dal and cumin seeds in 1/2 tsp of oil.
3. Grind it into a fine paste along with grated coconut and cumin seeds.
4. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters, add curry leaves.
5. Now add chopped plantain stem and fry. It will release water. Keep in medium flame, close with a lid and stir at intervals. It will take around 5-7 minutes. At first it releases water and later if it dries sprinkle little water till plantain stem is well cooked.
6. When plantain stem is well cooked and becomes soft, add ground mixture, cooked toor dal and salt required.
7. Mix well and keep in low flame for 2 more minutes till raw smell leaves.
8. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve as side dish along with rice
More related recipes are as follows