Pineapple Payasam recipe | Party recipe with step by step photos. South Indian payasam made with pineapple, coconut milk and jaggery. This dessert is unique, with the flavour of the fruit, taste of jaggery and the aroma of coconut milk. Jaggery can also be replaced with sugar. Fresh fruit is always better than the canned fruit. We have already seen many varieties of payasam such as Oats payasam, Orange fruit payasamCarrot Payasam, Javvarisi payasam
Nutritional value and health benefits of Pineapple – click this link for details.
Note that this recipe cannot be prepared with cow milk as it curdles with the fruit. You can serve this payasam as a dessert during parties either warm or cold.
- pineapple – 1 cup (finely chopped)
- jaggery / vellam – 1 cup (grated)
- coconut milk / thengai paal – 1 cup
- cashewnuts, dry grapes and green cardomom – as needed
- ghee – 2 tsps
- water – 1/4 cup
1. Chop pineapple pieces into fine pieces.
2. Heat two tsps of ghee in a fry pan. Fry the nuts and dry grapes till they turn golden and keep it aside.
3. In the same pan sauté the pineapple pieces with the remaining ghee for 2 minutes in medium flame.
4. Now add grated jaggery and sauté. (If you were using ordinary jaggery, you have to melt it with little water and filter to get rid of impurities and then use) Now add 1/4 cup of water and stir well till jaggery dissolves.
5. Now keep it in low flame for about 5-6 minutes after adding water, till pineapple pieces gets cooked and becomes soft.
6. Now you can add coconut milk and switch off the stove. Do not keep the flame ON for long time after adding coconut milk.
7. Add fried cashewnuts and dry grapes. Serve this payasam warm or chilled on cooling in refrigerator (consistency thickens on cooling) This can also be used as Neivedhyam for god.