Chettinad Karupatti Paniyaram | Pilliyar nombu illai maavu is a popular Chettinad cuisine, usually prepared in padaippu veedu and Pilliyar nombu which falls on the 21st day after Thirukarthigai, when “Sashti” thithi coincides with “Sadhayam” Nakshatram. At home they prepare karupatti Paniyaram, Vellai paniyaram , Ulundha Vadai and five types of Pori, aavarampoo and kannupillai poo to lord Ganesha. Now a days in cities Nagarathar’s gather together in a common place through “Nagarathar’s sangam” and celebrate this festival. There are few stories about the history of this festival – Pilliyar nombu .
The “Illai maavu” is the main item which is used to prepare “Pilliyar” and that is made of rice flour with jaggery or karupatti. 21 threads were taken out from a new cotton veshti and the “thiri” will be made. This thiri will be kept in the center of the jaggery pilliyar, lit and taken alive. Elders in the family or the sangam will lit this and give to others.
Pilliyar nombu illai maavu – Ingredients:-
- raw rice – 1 cup
- karupatti / palm jaggery – 1/2 cup
- jaggery / vellam – 1/4 cup
- oil – for deep frying
Pilliyar nombu illai maavu – Preparation of maavu:-
1. Firstly soak raw rice in water for 3 hours. Drain water and spread it on a news paper to remove moisture completely.
2. Secondly grind it in a mixie to get a fine powder. Sieve it and collect it in a bowl. Grind the granules again to get a fine powder.
Pilliyar nombu illai maavu – Preparation of illai maavu:-
1. After that powder karupatti and jaggery and take it in a bowl.
2. Add little water till karupatti and jaggery gets immersed. (approximately 1/4 tumbler) and heat it in a stove.
3. When it melts completely, switch off the stove. Cool down and filter through a sieve to remove the impurities in it.
4. Take 2-3 tsps of rice flour and keep it in reserve to add when flour becomes watery. Now add this karupatti syrup to rice flour little by little and mix with a spoon.
5. Stop when you get a dough like a chapathi flour consistency.
7. At this stage you can take needed amount of dough “illai maavu” to prepare pilliyar. Add one tsp of ghee, mix well and prepare pilliyar with thiri in the center.
Pilliyar nombu illai maavu – Preparation of Paniyaram:-
1. Take the above prepared illai maavu which will be thick in a bowl. Add required water and make the batter little watery like idly batter consistency.
2. Heat oil in a fry pan for deep frying. Pour a ladle full of batter into the hot oil. Hold the ladle close to the oil and make in a quick and short motion.
3. When it floats to the top as in the photo below
4. Turn it and cook for one minute.
5. Remove it from oil using a ladle and place it in a plate elevated on one side to drain oil oozing out to the other side.
6. This Paniyaram will stay for one week if you do not find any raw batter inside. You can see the Paniyaram from back side. I have opened it and shown.