Pickled Pearl onions | Chinna vengaya Oorugai is a tasty pickle prepared with pearl onions / sambar onions with vinegar, salt and water. Beetroot is added to improve the colour of the pickle. This can be used as a side dish for curd rice. Now let us see how to prepare this pickle in easy steps.
Pickled Pearl onions – Ingredients:-
- 1 pearl onions / shallots – 15 to 20 peeled)
- Beet root – 2 tblsp chopped
- vinegar – 1/4 cup
- water – 3/4 cup
- pepper corns / Milagu – few (optional)
- salt- 1/2 tsp
Pickled Pearl onions – Method of preparations:-
1. Firstly wash and peel the pearl onions and keep aside.
2. Secondly scrap skin and chop beetroot finely. Boil water with pepper corns (optional) and chopped beet root pieces. Beet root impart a nice pink shade to the pickle, which will be very attractive.
3. Thirdly filter it after boiling for one minute. Discard the beet root pieces and now cool water to room temperature.
4. Further mix the cooled water, salt and vinegar in a glass or ceramic jar and add pearl onions to it. The liquid should be at least a centimetre or two above the onions. Keep for 2 to 3 days.
5. Finally drain water at the time of serving. This stays good for 4-5 days without refrigeration. When refrigerated you can use for a long time.
6. Served pearl onions after soaking for 3 days is shown in the photo below.
Even more pickle recipes in my website are as follows:-