Peerkangai puzhi kuzhambu recipe | Ridge gourd curry is a side dish prepared with peerkangai, onion, garlic, tomato, sambar powder, tamarind paste and salt. You can also know about the health benefits of ridge gourd before cooking.
Botanical name :- Luffa
- peerkangai/ ridge gourd – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- garlic cloves/ poondu pal – 5 number
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- sambar powder – 1.5 tsp Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- turmeric powder/ manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind paste/ puzhi – 1.5 tsp
- salt – to taste
- grated jaggery/ vellam – 1 tsp
- gingely oil – 2 tsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungayam – pinch
- curry leaves – few
1. Cut peerkangai into 4 or five inch pieces.
2. Remove the ridges at first and throw away.
3. Scrap the skin and collect it in a bowl.
4. Chop it into one inch pieces and you can use this to prepare chutney. See Peerkangai Chutney recipe | Ridgegourd
5. Chop the vegetable into small cubes.
6. Chop onions, garlic and tomatoes and collect together.
7. Heat oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and asafoetida.
8. When it turns golden brown add curry leaves, chopped onions and garlic added fry.
9. When onions turn pale add chopped tomatoes. Stir well, close and cook in low flame for one minute.
10. When tomatoes become mushy, add chopped peerkangai and sauté.
11. Again close and cook for two minutes till it shrinks.
12. Now add a cup of water. Close and cook for five minutes until the vegetables becomes soft.
13. Now add sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt and tamarind paste.
14. Mix well, add required water upto your needed consistency, close and cook for 5 minutes.
15. When kuzhambu becomes thick and oil separates, add greater jaggery and mix well.
16. Serve as side dish for rice
you can also prepare Ridge gourd kootu
and Peerkangai masiyalwith ridgegourd.