Ridgegourd chutney recipe is prepared using the skin of ridgegourd along with chillies, coconut, tamarind and salt. This chutney can be served as side dish for idli, dosa and rice. It is a healthy and tasty chutney with all the health benefits of ridge gourd.
A small video link for the recipe:-
Ridgegourd chutney recipe – Ingredients:-
- peerkangai skin / ridge gourd skin – 1 cup
- grated coconut / thengai thuruval – 1 cup
- red chillies / vara milagai – 4-5 number
- tamarind / puzhi – lemon size
- salt / uppu – to taste
Ridgegourd chutney recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
Ridgegourd chutney recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly wash and clean the vegetable. Cut it into 3 or 4 inch pieces. Remove the ridges with a fibre in it. Now scrap out the skin and collect it. Again chop them into one or two inch pieces and collect it in a bowl. Use the vegetable to make pachadi or sambar.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan, add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dhal, and when it turns golden yellow add asafoetida. As asafoetida splutters add red chillies and skin of ridge gourd to it and fry for 3 minutes. When the skin colour changes stop the flame.
3. Thirdly add freshly grated coconut and allow it to cool to room temperature. Finally add tamarind and salt and grind in a mixie to a fine paste.
4. Serve with iddli, dosa and rice as side dish.
For other chutney recipes in my website click the link below
Like, share and subscribe for more recipes. Comment for your doubts.