Pani Puri recipe | Mumbai Street chat | பானி பூரி is a popular street chat item in several regions of India, in which small puris were filled with potatoes and cooked grains and served with spicy green chutney and sweet red chutney. Pani puri has various names depending on the region. In Haryana it is called paani ke patashe, in Madhya Pradesh fulki, in Uttar Pradesh golgappa, in West Bengal, Bangladesh, Bihar and Nepal puchka, in parts of Gujarat pakodi, in parts of Odisha, Jharkhand and Chattisgarh Gul chup. See pani puri origin and details .
Preparing green chutney, red sweet chutney and the filling masala at home is the healthier way of enjoying the chat and you can customise it in the way you like it. It is very simple to assemble and you can buy this crispy puris at any Indian grocery stores or you can prepare at home following the recipe below.
Now let us see about the preparation of pani puri at home. I have given you in easy steps to follow.
There are 4 steps in preparation of Pani Puri Mumbai chat
II. Red sweet chutney
III. Spicy Green chutney
IV. Cooking potatoes and peas or channa.
First two items the puri and red sweet chutney can be prepared and stored for few days.
I. Puri Ingredients:-
- rava/ sooji – 1/2 cup
- maida – 1/2 cup
- baking soda – 1/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
Method of preparing puri:-
1. First of all combine rava, maida, baking soda and salt with enough water and make a soft dough. Knead well and cover with a wet muslin cloth for 10 to 15 minutes.
2. Secondly take a ball size of dough and roll it with a rolling pin like chappathi, and using a small bottle cap or cup, cut into small circular pieces of 1 to 1.5 inch diameter size.( around 40 pieces can be made for this amount of dough)
3. Again using the rolling pin roll slightly and cover with the wet cloth for another 5 minutes.
4. Deep fry the puri’s with enough oil in a kadai one by one. Using a ladle try to immerse the puri’s in oil, so that it puffs up.
5. Turn the other side too and fry well. When it turns golden brown colour on both the sides remove from oil. It should be crispy and after it cools down for around 30 minutes puris can be stored in air tight containers or bags.
Pani Puri Mumbai chat – II. Red sweet chutney – Ingredients:-
- seedless Dates/ pearichambalam – 1/2 cup
- seedless tamarind/ puzhi – 1/2 cup
- crumbled jaggery/ vellam – 1/2 cup
- dried red chilly – 1
- roasted cumin/ seeragam – 1 tsp
- ginger/ inji – 1 tsp
- black salt – 1/2 tsp
- water – 2 cups
Red sweet chutney preparation Method:-
1. Boil seedless dates, tamarind, jaggery and red chilli with water in a pan till jaggery melts.
Cool down to room temperature and grind along with ginger, roasted cumin seeds and black salt into a fine paste.
2. Sieve it through a medium holed sieve (vegetable stainer will be the best) and store it. You can refrigerate this sweet red chutney and use for one month. This chutney can be used in many chat items like sev puri, dahi puri, mixed chat, aloo samosa etc.,
Pani Puri Mumbai chat – III. Green chutney – Ingredients:
- pudhina/ mint – 2 cups
- fresh coriander leaves/ cilantro – 1 cup
- green chillies – 2 number
- black salt – 1 tsp
- salt – 1/2 tsp
- lemon juice – 2 tsp
Green chutney preparation Method:-
1. Grind all the above ingredients pudina, coriander leaves, green chillies, black salt and salt with enough water. Now add lemon juice and two more cups of water to it to make the pani and refrigerate it for at least one hour to make it cool. Garnish with little boondi on top of the watery green chutney before serving.
Pani Puri Mumbai chat – IV. Preparing the vegetables:-
1. Pressure cook a potato and some fresh peas or channa (soaked in water for atleast 3hrs)
Remove skin of the potato and mash or chop into small pieces and sprinkle little red chilly powder, salt and chopped coriander over it.
2. Sprinkle little red chilly powder and salt over the peas or channa. You can use these two items, potato and peas separately or you can mix together and keep it in a bowl.
Now its time to assemble the ingredients and serve.
1. First of all crack a small portion in the center of each puri to make a hole.
2. Secondly fill the puri’s with a little cooked and mashed potato, cooked peas, red sweet chutney and immerse or pour chilled pani which was prepared with green chutney and serve immediately. This puri will be consumed in full size with all the contents.
Even more Mumbai street chats in my blog are Pav Bhaji recipe