Palakottai kootu recipe | jackfruit seeds curry with step by step photos. When you consume jackfruits, do not waste the seeds. You can prepare a tasty kootu using these seeds. Palakottai are also available in the market. Jackfruit seeds has numerous health benefits. We prepare this kootu with chilly, onion, moong dal, cumin seeds and salt.
- palakottai / Jackfruit seeds – 15 number
- oil – 1 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- green chilly / pachai milagai – 1 (slit)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- moong dal / pasi paruppu – 2 tblsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder preparation
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/2 tsp
- salt – to taste
1. Remove the outer skin and chop palakottai into small pieces. Put it in water to clean the gum if any.
2. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan and add cumin seeds. When it splutters add chopped onion, green chilly and curry leaves.
3. When onions turn pale, add moong dal.
4. Add one cup of water and turmeric powder, keep the stove in low flame, close and cook.
5. When moong dal gets half cooked as shown in the photo below
6. Add chopped palakottai. Close and cook for few more minutes. Add water if needed. Palakottai will be cooked easily.
7. When palakottai was cooked and becomes soft add red chilly powder and salt.
8. Mix well, keep it in low flame for few minutes till all ingredients merge together. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with one tsp of ghee. This kootu can be served as side dish with rice.