Palak / spinach kootu recipe is a simple and healthy dish prepared with green fresh palak, moong dal, grated coconut, cumin seeds and salt and served as side dish along with rice. We have already prepared few recipes using palak such as
Palak kootu recipe – Ingredients:-
- palak – 1 bunch
- moong dal / paasipayaru – 1/2 cup (100 gms)
- oil – 1 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- green chillies – 2 (slit)
- red chillies – 2
- grated coconut / thengai thuruval – 2 tblsp
- salt – to taste
Palak kootu recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly wash and chop palak and keep it ready. Chop onion, green chillies, red chillies and take one tea spoon of cumin seeds in a cup.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and put cumin seeds in it.
3. When it splutters add chopped onion, green chillies and red chillies.
4. After that when onions change colour add chopped palak leaves and sauté for few minutes.
5. Mean while cook moong dal with a cup of water and 1/4 tsp of turmeric powder in a separate open container.
6. Now see the fry pan with palak. Palak will start to ooze out water while cooking. Keep the stove in low flame and close the fry pan using a lid.
7. After five to ten minutes the palak will be well cooked. At this stage you can add cooked moong dal andsalt. Keep in low flame and mix well.
8. Finally add grated coconut and mix well.
9. Switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl. You can serve as side dish with meals.