Orange peel pickle recipe | Kamala skin | Oorugai is a tasty pickle prepared using the skin which is a waste after eating the fruits. Pickles are usually prepared from certain varieties of fruits and vegetables with edible oil and various spices. But here we prepare a tasty pickle using Orange peel. When we prepare salads or juices using orange we will get a lot of orange skin, which we usually throw out. Today let us see how to prepare a pickle using orange skin.
Even more related recipes are below:-
A small video link for the recipe:-
Orange peel pickle recipe – Ingredients:-
- orange peel from 10 fruits (cut into small square pieces)
- red chilly powder – 1 cup
- salt – 1/2 cup
- tamarind – 1 cup (juice extracted)
- jaggery – 1/2 cup
Orange peel pickle recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- gingelly oil – 2 tblsp
- fenugreek seeds / vendhayam – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungaayam – 1/2 tsp
Orange peel pickle recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly extract juice from tamarind by adding one cup of water.
2. Secondly mix tamarind juice along with red chilly powder and salt.
3. Thirdly heat this mixture in a fry pan.
4. When it boils add orange peel and keep the stove in low flame.
5. Further stir in between and check to maintain water consistency in the pickle. After 10 – 15 minutes orange peel will become soft and now you can switch off the stove.
6. Finally add jaggery to the pickle and mix well.
7. After that heat two table spoons of gingelly oil in a fry pan and add fenugreek seeds and asafetida and when it splutters, pour it into the pickle.
8. Allow it to cool for half an hour. Now transfer it to a glass bottle. Do not close tightly. Close it with a muslin cloth for air circulation for 10 – 15 days. Keep in sunlight if necessary in order to prevent from formation of fungus. After a month fungus will never come. You can preserve this for more than a year.
Or you can close at once, refrigerate it and use.