Orange peel chutney recipe | ஆரஞ்சுத்தோல் துவையல் is a wonderful recipe prepared with the skin of the orange fruits and dates. This dish will be tangy and tasty and very healthy as we add dates and jaggery. Thanks to my friend Meena Sunder for the tips given to prepare this chutney, as well as a pickle with orange skin.
Instead of throwing away the skin after using the fruits you can prepare this tasty chutney, which your family members will love. It will be of different taste from all our regular chutneys and here we add jaggery to take off the sour taste in the orange peel. Follow the instructions given below carefully and prepare this chutney.
You can click on Orange peel pickle to get the pickle recipe.
Orange peel chutney recipe – Ingredients:-
- orange peel / orange skin – 1 fruit
- green chilly – 1
- red chilly – 2
- ginger / inji – 1 tsp (chopped)
- dates / perechambalam – 5 seedless or seeds removed
- jaggery / vellam – 2 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp
- oil – 1 tblsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungaayam – pinch
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- salt / uppu – to taste
Orange peel chutney recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and fry orange peel separately till colour turns to light brown. Remove fried orange peel from pan and keep aside.
2. Secondly in the same oil, add mustard seeds. When it splutters add asafoetida and when it splutters add red chillies, curry leaves and ginger.
3. After that cool down the fried ingredients to room temperature and grind it in a mixie together with salt, dates, jaggery, tamarind paste and fried orange peel to a fine paste.
4. Finally serve this chutney along with idli, dosai or rice. It goes well with curd rice like a pickle.