Onion mixed Uthappam recipe | வெங்காயம் கலந்த ஊத்தப்பம் is a tasty recipe which we prepare using dosa batter with a combination of finely chopped onions and coriander, fried in oil.
We prepare this onion Uthappam with idli batter. When we grind Iddly batter, iddli’s can be made for the first two days, dosa for the third day, and finally on the fourth day it is good to make Uthappam. This is because idli will not be that good after 2 days, and this Uthappam tastes good with fermented batter, as we add onions and green chillies with salt.
Uthappams are thick pancakes or dosas which we prepare from idli batter. Uthappam batter is made of a lentils and rice are subsequently ground and fermented. The outer surface is crisp and the inner layers are like idli. Uthappam will be thick unlike dosa which will be very thin and crispy.
Uthappm is traditionally made with toppings such as tomatoes, onion, chillies, capsicum and cabbage mix. Other common choices are coconut or mixed vegetables. It is often eaten with sambar or chutney and it is popular in South India.
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 10 minutes
To serve: 2
Onion mixed Uthappam recipe – Ingredients:-
- Idli batter – 2 cups
- onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- green chillies – 2 (chopped)
- coriander – 1/4 cup (chopped)
- garlic paste – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
Onion mixed Uthappam recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan, add green chillies and onion and sauté for 2 minutes.
2. Similarly add coriander and sauté for one more minute.
3. Secondly transfer it into the batter along with ginger paste and little salt, because there is salt already in the batter.
4. Mix thoroughly all the ingredients and check for water, add if necessary to make Uthappam.
5. Heat dosa pan in the stove, pour two spoons of batter and spread a little to form dosa, sprinkle 1 tblsp of oil along the corners and on Uthappam.
6. Close the Uthappam with a lid and wait for 2-3 minutes.
7. Finally open the lid and you can see a no of holes on the Uthappam and the ends turn golden brown. Now turn the uthappam on the other side and wait for 2 more minutes.
8. Take the Uthappam and serve with desired chutney.