Onion Tomato Coconut Chutney Recipe | Brown thuvaiyal is a side dish prepared for idli or dosa. Equal amount of onion, tomato and coconut added with red chillies, tamarind, salt and some spices.
This is a type of chutny, which tastes good with idli’s and dosa’s. It gives a brown colour as we add red chillies, curry leaves and coriander with onions, tomatoes and coconut. So also called as brown chutney. Let’s see about the method of preparation in easy steps given below.
Preparation Time:- 30 minutes
To Serve:- 4 persons
- tomato – 1 cup ( chopped)
- onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- coconut – 1 cup (grated)
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- ginger paste/ inji – 1 tsp
- garlic/ poondu – 3 cloves
- coriander leaves/ kothamalli – 1/2 cup
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – 1/2 cup
- red chillies/ vara milagai – 10 number
- tamarind paste/ puzhi – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida and when it splutters, add red chillies, ginger paste, garlic and sauté for few minutes.
2. Now add onion and sauté for 2 more minutes. Next add tomatoes and sauté for few minutes.
3. Next add curry leaves and coriander leaves and sauté for few minutes and switch off the stove.
4. Cool it to room temperature and transfer to a mixie jar along with coconut, tamarind paste and salt. Grind into a fine paste.
5. Serve along with idli or dosa.