Onion tomato chutney recipe | Vengayam thakkali vadhakkal is one of the easiest recipe which can be prepared by everyone, mainly for beginners and bachelors. This can be used as side dish for, Idli’s, dosa’s, chappati’s and phulkas. Can be prepared in a thick consistancy if it’s needed for chappati’s and if needed to carry out for picnics and while travelling, as this will be good till the next day.(because we do not use any dal or coconut in it which destroys the food easily) This can be diluted if it’s used for Idli’s or dosa’s.
Prepareation Time:- 10 – 15 minutes
To Serve :- 2 persons
- onions – 3 (chopped)
- tomatoes – 3 (chopped)
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungaayam – 1/4 tsp
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
- red chilly powder/ milagaai podi – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- salt/ uppu – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
1. Grind chopped tomatoes in a mixie to a smooth paste.
2. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters and urad dal, when it turns golden brown add asafoetida and curry leaves.
3. Now add chopped onions and sauté for two to three minutes till it turns pale.
4. Add ground tomato purée to the pan. Rinse the jar with little water and add to it.
5. Now add salt, red chilly powder and turmeric powder.
6. Mix well, and close lid for 2 minutess. Stir the mix in between and once it becomes soft and cooked well, check for taste and consistancy. If you need it watery, can add some more water, for Idli’s and dosa’s. Or it can be thick for phulkas.
7. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with phulkas, or Idli’s.
Other chutney’s with tomatoes