Onion Pakoda recipe | Easy snacks recipe – an evening snacks which can be prepared at anytime as the ingredients used are always available in any kitchen. This is an excellent snack recipe which is prepared almost in all parts of India. Channa dal flour/besan/kadalai maavu is the main ingredient used here along with onions.
This snack can be prepared to use in between meals and in evenings as chat item. Onion pakodas can be served along with any chutney or sauce. These pakodas will last long for nearly one day. Let us see how to prepare these onion pakodas.
This is more or less equal to vengaya/onion bajji. In both the flour used is the same. But for preparing bajji’s the flour will be lightly watery, whereas it’ll be thick while we prepare these onion pakodas.
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 20 minutes
To serve: 4 persons
- channa dal flour/besan/kadalai maavu – 1 cup
- rice flour – 1/4 cup
- red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- cooking soda – pinch
- onion – 2 (chopped)
- cashew nuts – 5-6
- curry leaves – 10-12
- salt – to taste
- oil – for deep frying
1. Chop onions, curry leaves and cashews finely or roughly as you wish.
2. Mix channa dal flour, rice flour, chilly powder, asafoetida and cooking soda in a bowl.
3. Do not add water in the beginning. First add chopped onion, curry leaves and choppedcashew nuts to the flour and mix well. It’ll be little dry. Ow add water little by little, accordingly and mix the onions to stick with the flour. Once when you get the required thickness and no dry flour in it, stop adding water. Take care while mixing, so that a few pieces of chopped onions stick together with the flour as shown in the photo below.
4. Heat oil in pan, put pakodas one by one, almost in un even size using your fingers. Turn the sides and fry till it becomes golden brown.
5. Serve hot with tomato ketchup.
More related recipes are below