Omapodi recipe | Diwali snacks recipes | Evening snacks is prepared using kadalai maavu / besan / channa gram flour. This is an easy snack that we can prepare during Diwali too. This omapodi is the main ingredient used in South Indian mixture. This omapodi is used as such for garnishing Mumbai chat items.
For health benefits and nutritional content click gram flour – nutrition and health
Omapodi recipe | Diwali – Ingredients:-
- besan / gram flour / kadalai maavu – 1 cup
- rice flour / arisi maavu – 1/2 cup
- omam / ajwain seeds – 1 tsp
- water – 1/4 cup
- salt – to taste
- butter / vennei – 2 tsp
- oil – for deep frying
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/2 tsp (optional)
Omapodi recipe | Diwali – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly sieve gram flour and rice flour separately to remove any granules inside.
2. Secondly dry roast the omam in a fry pan.
3. Thirdly soak fried omam in 1/4 cup of water for 10 minutes.
4. Mean while take kadalai maavu in a bowl.
5. Add rice flour.
6. Add butter and salt.
7. Now grind the omam soaked in water in a small mixie jar. Usually it will not be ground smoothly because the quantity is very less. So grind as much as possible and filter it.
8. Mix this omam water along with little extra water required to the flour in the bowl. Add chilly powder which is optional and mix the ingredients to make a smooth dough. It will be usually a slightly sticky dough.
9. Use the small dotted hole in the kitchen press.
10. Put the dough in the kitchen press. Heat oil in a pan for deep frying. Press into circles in hot oil. Turn the side and fry. It will be done in a minute.
11. Take out and keep it on a tissue.
12. When it is cooled to room temperature, break into pieces and store in air tight containers.
For more Diwali snacks click on the links below