Oats idli recipe | Idly variety | ஓட்ஸ் இட்லி is prepared with ingredients such as oats, rava, butter milk, salt, cooking soda, green chilly, pepper powder and grated carrots. Oats is a healthy and nutritious food rich in vitamins, fiber and minerals. We have already seen to prepare oats Dosa, Upma, Kheer and today let us see the preparation of Oats idli. Generally steamed foods are healthier. As we do not add oil here as in dosa, it’s more healthy. Click Health benefits of Oats for more informations.
Oats idli recipe – Ingredients:-
- Oats – 2 cups
- Rava / sooji – 1 cup
- Buttermilk / more – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cooking soda – pinch
- Carrot – 1 (grated)
- Green chilly – 1 (chopped)
Oats idli recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- Fresh coriander – few (optional)
- Pepper powder / milagu thool – 1/4 tsp
Oats idli recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly dry roast Oats till it becomes hot to touch.
2. Secondly dry roast rava / sooji separately till it becomes hot to touch.
3. Cool down and grind together into a fine powder in a mixie.
4. Thirdly add salt and cooking soda.
5. After that add buttermilk and mix to form an idli batter.
6. Mean while heat oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden brown, add asafoetida, followed by chopped green chillies and grated carrots.
7. Put it in the prepared batter along with pepper powder and fresh coriander.
8. Mix well with required water making like idli batter and keep it for 15-20 minutes to set. It will become thick later and so add enough water.
9. After 15 minutes make idli’s as usual in an idli pan. I used to put cloth in a idli pan.
10. Pour the batter using a spoon in each mould. Close and cook for 10 minutes.
11. When idlis were cooked, it turns in colour.
12. Sprinkle some water, take the idli try and place upside down in a plate and remove the cloth.
13. Now oats idli’s are ready.
14. Finally serve hot idlis in pairs along with your favourite sambar or chutny. It will taste good when it is hot.