Oats idli recipe | Idly variety | ஓட்ஸ் இட்லி is prepared with ingredients such as oats, rava, butter milk, salt, cooking soda, green chilly, pepper powder and grated carrots. Oats is a healthy and nutritious food rich in vitamins, fiber and minerals. We have already seen to prepare oats Dosa, Upma, Kheer and today let us see the preparation of Oats idli. Generally steamed foods are healthier. As we do not add oil here as in dosa, it’s more healthy. Click Health benefits of Oats for more informations.
- Oats – 2 cup
- Rava/sooji – 1 cup
- Buttermilk/ mor – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Cooking soda – pinch
- Carrot – 1 (grated)
- Green chilly – 1 (chopped)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds/ seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida/ perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- Fresh coriander – few (optional)
- Pepper powder/ milagu thool – 1/4 tsp
1. Dry roast Oats till it becomes hot to touch.
2. Dry roast rava/sooji separately till it becomes hot to touch.
3. Cool down and grind together into a fine powder in a mixie.
4. Add salt and cooking soda.
5. Add buttermilk.
6. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden brown, add asafoetida, followed by green chillies and grated carrots.
7. Put it in the batter prepared along with pepper powder and fresh coriander.
8. Mix well with required water making like idli batter and keep it for 15-20 minutes to set. (It will become thick later. So add enough water)
9. After 15 minutes make idli’s as usual. I used to put cloth in a idli pan.
10. Pour the batter using a spoon in each hole. Close and cook for 10 minutes.
11. When it’s cooked, it turns colour.
12. Sprinkle some water, take the idli place upside down in a plate and remove the cloth.
13. Now oats idli’s are ready.
14. Serve hot along with your favourite sambar or chutny. It will taste good when it’s hot.