Nellikkai Thokku recipe | Amla | Gooseberry pickle is a healthy tasty pickle used as side dish for rice, Idli , Dosa orPhulkas Amla, spices and salt are the ingredients. Amla season started and most you will be searching for tasty recipes with Amla. Amla has amazing health benefits.
Now let us see how to prepare a Thokku with Amla. It is a very easy, tasty and healthy side dish.
Nellikkai Thokku recipe – Ingredients:-
- nellikkai / Amla / gooseberry – 10-12 number
- gingelly oil / nalennai – 1/2 cup 80 ml
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/2 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- salt / uppu – to taste (approximately 1 tsp)
- fenugreek powder / vendhaya podi – 1 tsp
Nellikkai Thokku recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly cook Amla under steam in an idiyappam / idli pan.
2. It will take around 10 – 15 minutes. The fruit breaks when it is well cooked as in the photo below.
3. Cool to room temperature and remove the seeds.
4. Now mash the Amla pieces using a pestle or a masher coarsly. You can also grind it in a mixie and keep it ready.
5. Secondly heat gingely oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds.
6. When it splutters add asafoetida.
7. After that when it splutters add mashed Amla to it.
8. Mix well and add turmeric powder, red chilly powder and salt.
9. Mix well and allow it to cook for 5 minutes till the raw smell leaves and oil separates as in the photo below.
10. Finally add fenugreek powder to it.
11. Mix well and after 2 minutes, switch off the stove. Cool down and transfer to a container. This can be served as side dish along with rice, idli, dosa or roti. Very good side dish for carrying while you travel.
For even more related recipes in my website click on the following links.