Gooseberry Pickle recipe | Amla | Nellikkai Oorugai is prepared from Amla which is an excellent source of Vitamin C, enhances immunity. It’s benefits are innumerable. Amla is used for loosing weight, lowering Cholesterol levels, improves eyesight, good for hair growth, great for skin, regulates blood sugar, strengthens the liver, good for digestion, increases Haemoglobin and red blood cell count, useful for cough, asthma, cleanses the mouth, strengthens the teeth and it has no side effects.
Other recipes with nellikkai are
Preparation Time:- 20 minutes
video link for the recipe:-
Nellikkai Oorugai recipe – Ingredients:-
- gooseberry / nellikkai – 1/4 kg
- turmeric powder / manjal thool – 1/2 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai thool – 1 tsp
- salt / uppu – 1.5 tsp
- powdered fenugreek and mustard seeds – 1.5 tsp
Nellikkai Oorugai recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- oil – 1/2 cup
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
Nellikkai Oorugai recipe – Method:-
1. Firstly wash, clean and half cook nellikkai in a pressure cooker without putting the cooker weight for one minute. Mean while dry roast mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds until good aroma comes out. Cool down and grind to a fine powder.
2. Secondly cut amla into small pieces and remove seeds. Each Amla into six pieces approximately along the divisions in the fruit.
3. Thirdly heat oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add asafoetida and then the nellikkai pieces along with turmeric powder and sauté for few minutes that is for 5 to 7 minutes. Add little water that is 1/4 cup of water and allow to boil.
4. During this period of time nellikkai will be well cooked. Now add red chilly powder.
3. Finally add powdered fenugreek and mustard seeds and mix well and switch off the stove.
4. Cool down to room temperature and store in a container. This pickle can also be used at once and lasts for 3 to 4 months.
Even more pickles recipes in my website are as follows:-