Neermore recipe | spiced buttermilk drink is a cooling, healthy summer drink made with fresh curd, salt, cumin powder, asafoetida and finely chopped coriander leaves or curry leaves. “Neermore” is the tamil name of buttermilk. which is a refreshing, cooling,traditional, yogurt-based drink with high proportion of water.
Originally buttermilk was the liquid left behind after churning butter out of cultured cream, which is referred to traditional buttermilk. It has a good flavour and the tartness of buttermilk is due to the acid in the milk. Buttermilk contains vitamins, potassium, calcium and traces of phosphorus.
In many southindian homes, mothers will be filling earthen pots with neermore during the summer months. This buttermilk will be offered to the family members as well as the guests to drive away the body heat during the hot summer days. Now let us see how to prepare this neermore which is very simple.
- curd / thayir – 1 cup
- water – 3 cups
- cumin powder / seeragapodi – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- salt – to taste
1. Put all the above mentioned ingredients together in a pot except water.
2. Beat or whisk it using an egg beater till it becomes smooth without lumps. Beat for at least two minutes. You can also use hand blender which is called as “mathu” in Tamil.
3. Add water as much as needed. It is not only 3 cups, you can add even more according to your need.
4. Pour into glasses, add ice cubes if needed and serve chilled.
You may also like the variation in buttermilk which I have posted.