Navadhanya Sundal is prepared with nine different varities of legumes. This type of Sundal is usually prepared on the nineth day of Navarathiri festival. This is one of the healthiest recipe that can be prepared as evening snacks, as it brings all the health benefits of the nine legumes together in the same dish. We can select any nine – Green gram, Bengal gram dal, Brown Chana, White Chana, Rajma, Horse gram, Peas, Ground nuts, Soya beans, Brown Cow peas (brown karamani), White black eyed cow peas (white karamani) and Field beans (mochai)
Preparation Time:- 25 mts
To Serve:- 2
- White Channa (white kondaikkadalai) – 2 tblsp
- Horse gram (kollu paruppu) – 2 tblsp
- Brown Chana (brown kondaikkadalai) – 2 tblsp
- White black eyed cow peas (white karamani) – 2 tblsp
- Green gram (pasi pauaru) – 2 tblsp
- Ground nut ( verkkadalai) – 2 tblsp
- Field beans (mochai) – 2 tblsp
- Rajma (kidney beans) – 2 tblsp
- Bengal gram dal (kadalai paruppu) – 2 tblsp
- For seasoning:-
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Red chilly – 1
- Green chily – 1
- Curry leaves – few
- Salt – to taste (1 tsp)
- Grated coconut – 2 tblsp
1. Wash and soak all the 8 legumes in water, except bengal gram dal overnight or for 6-8 hrs.(If you need it for the evening, you can soak it in the morning)
2. Add the soaked legumes along with bengal gram dal and salt with little water and cook in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles.
3. After releasing pressure, drain excess of water and keep ready.
4. Heat oil in pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal, and when it turns golden brown, add red and green chillies (split), curry leaves and pour it to the cooked navadhanyam.
5. Add grated coconut and serve.