Naarthangai Oorugai recipe | Pickle | நார்த்தங்காய் ஊறுகாய் is one of the tastiest pickle with the fruits. We have already prepared many pickles using lemon, garlic, mango, tomato, orange peel, goose berry and many more fruits and vegetables. This is a pickle which is good for health too. This is a Yummy pickle with Citron called as “Naarthangai ” in tamil.
Botanical name :- Citrus medica. See also the health benefits of Citron. I have given the photo of the fruits below.
video link for the recipe:-
Naarthangai Oorugai recipe – Ingredients:-
- naarthangaai / Citron fruits – 6 number
- Red chilly powder / milagai podi – 3 tea spoons
- Salt / uppu – 3 tea spoons
- tamarind paste / puzhi paste – 2 tea spoons (juice extracted from two lemon size tamarind)
- jaggery / vellam – 2 tea spoons
- gingelyl oil / nall ennai – 4 tsp
- fenugreek seeds / vendhayam – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
Naarthangai Oorugai recipe – Method:-
1. First of all boil water in a container and put the fruits in it for 10 minutes.
2. When it is half cooked remove it.
3. Cool down to room temperature and cut into small square pieces. It will be very juicy and the skin will separate. Do not worry. Chop the skin separately and the flesh separately and keep it in a container.
4. Separate the seeds as much as possible and throw away.
5. Secondly mix red chilly powder, salt and tamarind paste with one cup (200 ml) of water in a container and heat it.
6. When it boils add cut naarthangai to it and stir.
7. Allow it to boil for ten to fifteen minutes till it merges well and becomes thick up to a pickle consistency in other words semi solid consistency.
8. Finally switch off the stove and add jaggery. After that heat oil in another pan, add fenugreek seeds and asafoetida. When it splutters, pour the seasoning to the pickle, mix well and allow it to cool down.
9. Cover it with a thin muslin cloth for 10 -15 days. Keep in sunlight if necessary. You can also store in refrigerator and use this pickle.
For even more pickles recipes in my website click on the links below