Murungaikkai Thokku recipe | drumstick Thokku is made with drumstick pulp which goes well with curd rice. Murungaikkai is rich in iron, calcium and vitamins. It is good for anemia. This dish can be prepared when you get drumstick in large quantity from your drumstick tree in garden or from market. Serve this dish along with rice and ghee.
Even more recipes with moringa olifera are as follows
Murungaikkai Thokku recipe – Ingredients:-
- murungaikkai / drumstick – 6 number
- tamarind juice / puzhi karaisal – 1/2 lemon size
- oil – 2 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
Murungaikkai Thokku recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly trim both ends of murungaikkai and cut each murungaikkai into 2 or 3 pieces. Secondly heat a pan with 2 cups of water, tamarind juice and salt. Put chopped murungaikkai in it and cook in medium flame.
2. When it is cooked well, drumstick pieces will change colour.
3. Remove from water and cool down to room temperature. Thirdly open drumstick pieces and remove the pulp along with seeds using a spoon.
4. Collect all the cooked pulp in a bowl and keep it ready.
5. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden add chopped onion and curry leaves. Sauté well till it turns pale.
6. Add murungaikkai pulp along with red chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt.
7. Finally mix well and allow it to cook in low flame for few minutes till it merges together. Transfer to a serving bowl and serve with curd rice.