Drumstick | Murungai Keerai Poriyal | thuvattal recipe is a Chettinad dish. Some times they prepare this poriyal along with banana flowers in chettinad. Drumstick leaves are is rich in calcium, phosphorus, iron and vitamins which helps in development of bone, teeth, immune system and increases appetite.
Other Murungai keerai recipes
health benefits of drumstick – about its nutritional value and health.
Preparation Time:- 15 minutes
To Serve:- 4 persons
A short video link for the recipe:-
Murungai Keerai Poriyal recipe – Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- murungai keerai – 1 bunch
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- toor dal – 1/2 cup (cooked)
- grated coconut – 1/4 cup
- salt – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal – 1 tsp
- red chillies – 2
- hing – 1/4 tsp
Murungai Keerai Poriyal recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly remove the leaves in single from the bunch and wash it.
2. Secondly cook toor dal in a container and stop before it gets break. Drain water and keep it ready.
3. Further heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and hing. When it turns golden add red chillies (cut into 2)
4. Add chopped onion and sauté for few minutes.
5. When it turns pale add murungai Keerai and sauté for few minutes.
6. Add enough water and close the lid for 10 minutes till the drumstick leave get cooked well.
5. Finally when drumstick leave were fully cooked and becomes soft and turns colour as shown in the photo below.
6. Add the salt needed, cooked toor dal and grated coconut and mix gently.
6. Mix well and when water gets completely dried, switch off the stove.
7. Serve with rice as side dish.