Murungai keerai pachadi recipe | drumstick leaves curry is a tasty healthy side dish prepared with drumstick leaves, toor dal, grated coconut, sambar powder, tamarind paste, salt, onion and seasoning done with mustard seeds, red chilly and urad dal. Murungai keerai pachadi can be served as side dish along with sambar rice and curd rice.
Ingredients:- (200 ml cup used)
- murungai keerai / drumstick leaves – 1 cup (tightly packed)
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- pearl onions / chinna vengayam – 1 tblsp (finely chopped)
- red chilly / vara milagai – 1
- sambar powder – 1 tsp Sambar Powder Recipe
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp Home made turmeric powder preparation |
- tamarind paste / puzhi paste – 1/2 tsp Tamarind Paste Preparation
- salt – to taste
- cooked toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1 cup
1. Wash and separate Murungai keerai from its stem. Cook toor dal (How to cook toor dal )and keep it ready.
2. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden add slit red chilly and then add chopped pearl onions and sauté. Next add murungai keerai and sauté. When it shrinks and turns colour add a cup of water. Close with a lid and cook for few minutes (around 10 minutes) in low or medium flame. Check the water content in it and add if necessary.
3. When drumstick leaves gets cooked well, you will get a good flavour of the leaves. Now add sambar powder, tamarind paste and salt. Cook for 2 more minutes till the raw flavour leaves.
4. Now add cooked toor dal, mix well and add grated coconut. Keep it in low flame and when you get the required pachadi consistency, switch off the flame and transfer to a serving bowl.
5. Serve as side dish with rice. You can add one tsp of ghee to increase its taste.