Moong dal kheer recipe | Pasi paruppu payasam a South Indian style delicious payasam, a tasty kheer also known as pesara paruppu with step by step photos. Split green gram is Moong dal in Hindi, Pasi Paruppu in tamil and pesara paruppu in telugu. This is prepared for neivedhyam or prasadham, an offering made to Gods during Poojas. Moong dal is rich in protein and fiber and low in fat and calories. For more details click – Health benefits of moong dal
For more payasam recipes click
- moong dal / pasi paruppu – 1/4 cup
- cow milk or coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- jaggery / vellam – 1/2 cup
- nuts and dry grapes – as needed
- ghee – 1 tsp
- green cardomom / elakkai – 1
- water – 1 to 1.5 cups
1. Dry roast moong dal till you get a good flavour of the dal.
2. Add water and cook moong dal in low flame.
3. In another container add jaggery with little (around 2 tsps) water and heat it till jaggery dissolves completely.
4. By this time moong dal will be well cooked and becomes soft.
5. Mash cooked moong dal using a potato masher.
6. Now filter jaggery syrup and add to the cooked moong dal.
7. Mix well and then add milk / coconut milk. Keep in low flame for 2 minutes and switch off the stove.
8. Heat one tsp of ghee in a fry pan and fry cashewnuts, green cardomom and dry grapes to golden colour.
9. Garnish with these nuts and serve warm.