Mochai Sundal recipe | field beans | மொச்சை சுண்டல் is one of the tastiest snacks which we prepare in evenings. We can also prepare this as prasadham during Navarathiri Golu for the goddess and distribute to children and neighbours. I have already posted some Navarathri special recipes such as Makka Cholam Sundal, நவதானியசுண்டல், Kondaikkadalai Sundal , Sweet Sundal with green gram, Peanut Sundal , Thengai Maangai Pattani Sundal , Kadalai Paruppu Sundal , Kondaikkadalai Sundal and Karamani Sundal .
You can use both fresh raw mochai from market or dry mochai can be used for preparing this recipe. If you have raw mochai you can directly cook in pressure cooker. If it is dry, you must soak in water over night and then cook it in pressure cooker. Prepare this Sundal following my instructions and enjoy its taste.
Mochai Sundal recipe – Ingredients:-
- mochai / field beans – 2 cup
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- red chilly / vara milagai – 1
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- grated coconut – 2 tsp
- salt / uppu – to taste
Mochai Sundal recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly cook mochai in a pressure cooker for 2 whistles. If it is fresh and raw you can cook directly after removing from its pods. If it is dry, you can soak it in water overnight or for eight hours and then cook. I have used dry mochai and so soaked in water overnight.
2. Once when you release pressure, drain water and collect mochai. Take care it should be cooked to correct stage. Not mashy or too thick. The grain should be cooked well and it should be in full size.
3. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan, put mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden brown, add slit red chilly and curry leaves. Thirdly add cooked mochai with salt. Sauté for few minutes and finally add grated coconut. Mix well, switch off flame and transfer to serving bowl.
4. Take for neivedhyam for goddess and later distribute to children and neighbours in paper cups.