Mochai Rice recipe | field beans | மொச்சை சாதம் is a type of variety rice prepared for lunch and it’s a best recipe to carry for lunch. Both fresh raw or dry field beans can be used for preparing this recipe. But the best one is fresh raw mochai. It’s a healthy recipe which you can easily prepare. Remove and collect the beans from its pod and use following the steps given below.
- rice/ arisi – 1 cup
- mochai/ field beans – 3/4 cup (if you were using dry mochai, soak it in water overnight or for 8 hours before using) fresh raw beans is a better option.
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- cumin seeds/ seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
- green chillies – 2 number (chopped)
- turmeric powder/ manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- chilly powder/ milgai thool – 1/2 tsp
- garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- coriander powder/ malli thool – 1/2 tsp
- salt/ uppu – to tast
- oil – 2 tblsp
- ghee/ nei – 1 tsp
1. Wash and soak rice in water for 30 minutes in water. Drain water.
2. Meanwhile you can half cook the mochai in an open container. If you were using dry mochai, you should soak in water for eight hours before cooking.
2. Drain water and keep mochai ready.
3. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
4. When it pops up add curry leaves and chopped green chillies.
5. Now add half cooked mochai.
6. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and little salt.
7. Then add soaked rice to it and mix well.
8. Add 3 cups of water, close and cook for five minutes in low flame after you get a whistle.
5. When rice gets cooked well add the remaining salt and add ghee and grated coconut if needed (optional) Serve along with sutta appalam.
For other rice varieties click on