Mochai Kootu recipe | Field beans | மொச்சை கூட்டு is a side dish which can be used for rice.
Botanical name for mochai is Vicia faba
Fresh Mochai is available in plenty during the month of nov, dec and jan in Tamil Nadu. How ever the season changes in other areas. On all other days we get dried mochai, which should be soaked in water over night before using. This is one of the recipes prepared and served as side dish and served along with rice.
Preparation Time:- 30 minutes
To Serve:- 2 persons
Mochai Kootu recipe – Ingredients:-
- Mochai / fresh field beans 1 cup (200 ml)
- Toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1/2 cup (100 ml)
- Grated Coconut – 2 tblsp
- Small onions / pearl onions – 6 number
- Sambar Powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- Dry mango powder / amchur powder – 1 tsp (can be replaced with 1 tomato)
- Salt- to taste
Mochai Kootu recipe – For Seasoning:-
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- Urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
Mochai Kootu recipe – Method:-
1. Firstly cook toor dal in a pressure cooker with one cup of water and turmeric powder, for a single whistle in other words do not cook till it breaks. Refer How to cook toor dal
2. Once when pressure is released, add mochai, chopped onion, sambar powder and cook for one more whistle.
3. Finally heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden brown add asafoetida and curry leaves. Likewise add cooked toor dal with mochai, required salt, dry mango powder and cook in medium flame for few more minutes. Dry mango powder can be replaced by one tomato. In case if you add tomato you can add chopped tomatoes while you add onions and mochai. In conclusion the dish hould not be watery, or too thick but it should be in a semisolid form. Most importantly when you get the required consistency, add grated coconut and switch off the stove.
4. You can serve this tasty mochai kootu as a side dish along with rice.