Milagai chutney recipe | மிளகாய் சட்னி is a spicy chutney which can be served as side dish for idli or dosa and it is a special combination for Chettinad Vellai paniyaram . . Onion, tomato and red chillies are the main ingredients, which were ground along with tamarind and salt. Seasoning is done with oil, mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida and curry leaves. Other chutney recipes are
Now let us see how to prepare this milagai chutney.
- tomatoes – 3 number (chopped)
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- red chillies – 3 number
- tamarind paste– 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
- gingely oil – 1 tblsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- curry leaves – few
1. Chop tomatoes, onion and collect all the ingredients together.
2. Grind tomatoes, onion, dry red chillies, salt and tamarind into a fine paste in a mixie.
3. Heat 1 tblsp of gingely oil in a fry pan, add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden brown, add asafoetida and curry leaves.
4. Pour the ground mixture of chutney into the fry pan.
5. Keep in low flame, close and cook for two to three minutes carefully. Stir opening the lid often, because chutney may stick to the bottom of the pan. If it is open it sprinkles oil and chutney all around the stove.
6. Once when it turns dark red in colour and chutney becomes thick and oil separates, switch off the stove.
7. Transfer to serving bowl and serve as side dish for “Vellai paniyaram”, idli or dosa.