Methi Pulao recipe | Vendhaya Keerai Pulao – mildly flavoured healthy rice cooked with methi / fenugreek leaves. Vegetables like carrot, peas and potatoes can be added. It is a perfect healthy lunch box recipe. We have already made some recipes such as Methi Chutney, Methi Phulkas, Methi Dal with methi leaves. Today we prepare a Pulao with methi.
- basmathi rice – 1 cup
- tightly packed fresh methi leaves / fenugreek leaves / vendhayakeerai – 1 cup
- ghee – 2 tsp
- onion – 1 (sliced)
- green chilly – 1 (slit)
- ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
- green peas – handful
- carrot and potatoes – 1/2 cup (optional)
- salt – to taste
- water – 2 cups (you can also use thin coconut milk instead of water)
Dry spices needed:-
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- bay leaf – 1
- cloves / Kira but – 3 number
- cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- green cardomom / elakkai – 2 number
- star anise – 1
- pepper corns / Milagu – few
1. Soak rice in water for 20 minutes. Drain water and keep it ready.
2. Remove methi leaves from stem, sprinkle little salt and soak it in water for a while in order to remove mud if any. Drain water, chop it and keep this too ready.
3. Chop onion green chilly, remove peas from pods and keep it ready.
4. Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add the spices.
5. When it splutters add chopped onion and green chilly.
6. When onion turns pale add ginger garlic paste.
7. Sauté ginger garlic paste for one minute and add soaked basmati rice.
8. Mix well and add green peas. (You can add chopped carrots and potatoes at this stage if you were using it)
9. Add water and salt and close the cooker without putting the weight and keep it in low flame for 10 minutes. You may check for salt at this stage.
10. After ten minutes, open the cooker and the ingredients will be 3/4 cooked.
11. Now add chopped methi leaves.
12. Mix well, close cooker again and keep in low flame for another 3 minutes without putting the weight.
13. Now Pulao will be cooked well. You can garnish with fried cashewnuts if needed and serve along with tomato Raitha.