Methi leaves tomato chutney | Vendhaya Keerai recipe is a side dish prepared with fenugreek leaves, onion, tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste, spices and salt. This chutney can be served along with Idli , Riice dosa , rice or dry roti .
You may know methi leaves have numerous health benefits especially for diabetes. To know more about it refer – Health benefits of Methi leaves
- methi leaves / fenugreek leaves / vendhaya keerai – 1 bundle
- onion – 2 (chopped)
- tomatoes – 3 (chopped)
- ginger-garlic paste / inji poondu viludhu – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1 tsp
- coriander powder / malli podi – 1 tsp
- salt / uppu – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu – 1 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- green chillies – 3 number (slit)
1. Chop onion and tomatoes. Separate methi leaves from stem, wash and chop it. Keep it ready.
2. Heat oil in a fry pan. Add channa dal and urad dal.
3. When it splutters add cumin seeds.
4. Next add slit green chillies.
5. Now add chopped onion and sauté.
6. When it turns pale add ginger garlic paste and sauté.
7. Now add chopped methi leaves.
8. Fry till it shrinks.
9. Now add chopped tomatoes.
10. Stir well and add red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt.
11. When tomatoes becomes soft and mushy add one cup of water. Close and cook.
12. Add 1/2 tsp of tamarind paste and stir well.
13. When the dish reaches your required consistency, switch off stove and transfer to a serving bowl. Served here as side dish with idli.