‘Matar Paneer recipe | Green peas Paneer Northindian recipe is a restaurant style Paneer recipe with green peas, delicious onion, tomato gravy. This can be served with parathas, Phulkas as side dish. This can be prepared with fresh peas during the season or at any time throughout the year with frozen green peas. Matar paneer tastes delicious with sweet aroma of peas that is balanced with the spices and garam masala powder used.
Health benefits of Green peas and Will be explained in links.
To make paste:-
- onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- tomato – 1 cup (chopped)
- cashew nuts – 8-10 number (can also use skin removed almonds)
Matar Paneer recipe – Other ingredients for gravy:-
- butter or oil – 1 tsp
- ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- green peas / matar / pachai pattani – 1 cup
- paneer / cottage cheese – 1 cup
- green cardomoms / elakkai – 2 number
- cumin / seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- bay leaf – 1
- cinnamon stick / pattai – 1 inch
- cloves / kirambu – 2 number
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/2 tsp
- garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
- kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves – 1/4 tsp
- finely chopped coriander leaves – 1 tsp
- cream – 1/4 cup (optional)
Matar Paneer recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Make a fine paste of chopped onions, tomatoes and cashews.(I have used skin removed almonds)
2. Sauté paneer in little oil and immerse in hot water until you use. Heat one tsp of oil and sauté cumin, cardomom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf.
3. Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté until raw smell goes off.
4. Add the ground paste and sauté.
5. Fry well in low flame for around 4-5 minutes until it leaves the side of the pan and becomes thick.
6. When raw smell disappear, add red chilly powder, garam masala powder and salt. Sauté for 2 minutes.
7. Now add green peas.
8. Add one cup of water. (You rinse the mixie jar and use here)
9. Close and cook in low flame for 5 minutes, until the peas becomes soft and raw smell disappears completely. Oil floats on top at this stage. Add required salt.
10. Mix well and add the paneer cubes which you have reserved in hot water along with crushed kasuri methi.
11. Mix well without breaking the paneer cubes. Let the veggies absorb salt. Now switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh cream or butter and finely chopped coriander leaves and serve.