Matar Paneer recipe | Green peas Paneer Northindian recipe is a restaurant style Paneer recipe with green peas, delicious onion and tomato purée. You can serve this as side dish along with parathas, Phulkas . You can prepare with fresh peas during the season or at any time throughout the year with frozen green peas. Matar paneer tastes delicious with sweet aroma of peas that is balanced with the spices and garam masala powder. See also the Health benefits of Green peas.
Matar Paneer recipe – Ingredients to make paste:-
- onion – 1 cup (chopped)
- tomato – 1 cup (chopped)
- cashew nuts – 8-10 number (can also use skin removed almonds)
Matar Paneer recipe – Other ingredients for gravy:-
- butter or oil – 1 tsp
- ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- green peas / matar / pachai pattani – 1 cup
- paneer / cottage cheese – 1 cup
- green cardomoms / elakkai – 2 number
- cumin / seeragam – 1/2 tsp
- bay leaf – 1
- cinnamon stick / pattai – 1 inch
- cloves / kirambu – 2 number
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/2 tsp
- garam masala powder – 1/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
- kasuri methi / dry fenugreek leaves – 1/4 tsp
- finely chopped coriander leaves – 1 tsp
- cream – 1/4 cup (optional)
Matar Paneer recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly make a fine paste of chopped onions, tomatoes and cashews.(I have substituted skin removed almonds)
2. On the other hand sauté chopped paneer in little oil and immerse in hot water until you use. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil and sauté cumin, cardomom, cloves, cinnamon and bay leaf.
3. Then add ginger-garlic paste and sauté until raw smell goes off.
4. Similarly add the ground paste of onion, tomato and sauté.
5. Further fry well in low flame for around 4-5 minutes until it leaves the side of the pan and becomes thick.
6. Later when raw smell disappears, add red chilly powder, garam masala powder and salt. Sauté for 2 minutes.
7. After that add green peas.
8. Add one cup of water. (You rinse the mixie jar and use here)
9. Further close and cook in low flame for 5 minutes until the peas becomes soft and raw smell disappears completely. Oil floats on top at this stage and now add required salt.
10. Mix well and finally add the paneer cubes which you have reserved in hot water along with crushed kasuri methi.
11. Do not break break the paneer cubes while mixing. Let the veggies absorb salt. Now switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with fresh cream or butter and finely chopped coriander leaves and serve.