Masal vada recipe | Kadalai Paruppu vadai is a popular South Indian snack which is a common street food in Tamil Nadu. These crispy vada can be had with a cup of tea in the evening or as side dish for any rice. It is very simple and easy to prepare. I have given the method with step by step photos. Masal vada will be loved by everyone. To know more about vadas and different varieties of vada click – vada – Wikipedia. Now let us see the preparation of masal vada.
Ingredients:- (200ml cup used)
- channa dal / kadalai paruppu / bengal gram – 1 cup
- red chillies / vara milagai – 3 number
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1 tsp
- pearl onions / chinna vengayam / sambar vengayam – 10 number (finely chopped)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few (finely chopped)
- salt – to taste
- oil – for deep frying
1. Soak channa dal for 2 hours in water.
2. Drain water and keep it ready.
3. Grind red chillies and fennel seeds coarsly once at first in a mixie.
4. Now add soaked and water drained channa dal and required salt to the mixie.
5. Again grind it coarsly.
6. Now finely chop pearl onions and curry leaves.
7. Mix it well with the ground vada flour.
8. Make small balls out of the flour and flatten it.
9. Heat a fry pan with enough oil to deep fry the vadas. Put the vadas one by one in oil and fry. When one side was fried well turn the side and fry on the other side to golden brown.
10. Remove from oil and keep it in a tissue to remove excess of oil.
11. Serve hot along with a cup of tea.
Other vada recipes in my website