Mango Thokku | thuvaiyal recipe | Chettinad is one of the popular recipe of Chettinad which you can prepare during mango season. Thokku is a condensed form of a vegetable and we prepare when we get a vegetable abudantly. For example we prepare thokku with fresh coriander, pudina, thakkali etc., This comes in that list, and so we prepare it during mango season. You can serve this thokku as side dish for idli, dosa and curd rice. You can use this thokku for 2 to 3 days without refrigeration. If you refrigerate it you can use this for months. This thokku is a gift for mango lovers. It tastes heavenly with curd rice like a pickle. Other recipe links with raw mango in my website are as follows:-
A short video link for the recipe:-
Mango Thokku recipe – Ingredients:-
- raw mango / maangai – 1 (finely chopped)
- green chillies / pachai milagai – 4 (finely chopped)
- salt – to taste
Mango Thokku recipe – Ingredients for tempering:-
- oil – 2 tblsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/2 tsp
Mango Thokku recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly heat two table spoons of oil in a fry pan and add one tea spoon of mustard seeds. When it splutters add half a tea spoon of asafoetida, and when it splutters add finely chopped green chillies and fry.
2. Secondly add grated mango and salt, keep it in medium flame and fry for 10 minutes. Stir continuously without gap.
3. When mango gets fully cooked and oil leaves pan, switch off the stove. Let it cool to room temperature. Finally store the mango thokku in a glass container. You can use this for 2 to three days without refrigeration.
4. We can serve this thokku along with curd rice as side dish.