Manathakkali vatha kuzhambu recipe | South Indian recipe is prepared as side dish for rice , Idli or Dosa , with sun dried black night shade, spices, tamarind, onion, garlic, jaggery and salt. We have already seen about the preparation of Manathakkali Vathal.
Botanical name:- Solanum nigrum
Manathakkali is a wonderful plant with numerous health benefits. Here we prepare a kuzhambu using that manathakkali vathal which is a South Indian side dish for rice.
- manathakkali vathal / Milagu thakkali vathal – 2 tblsp
- sambar onions / pearl onions – 10 number
- garlic cloves – 10 number
- tamarind paste / puzhi paste – 2 tsp
- red chillies – 2 number
- red chilly powder – 1 tsp
- sambar powder – 2 tsp Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/2 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – few
- Jaggery / vellam -1 tsp
- gingelly oil – 3 tblsp
To make powder:-
- toor dal / thuvaram paruppu – 1 tsp
- fenugreek seeds / vendhayam – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- coriander seeds / malli – 1 tsp
- manathakkali vathal – 1 tsp
- gingelly oil – 1 tsp
1. Peel out the skins of sambar onions, garlic and keep it ready.
2. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan and fry toor dal, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, manathakkali vathal till it turns golden brown.
3. Transfer to a plate and let it cool down completely to room temperature. Grind in a mixer jar to fine powder without adding water and keep aside.
To prepare vatha kulambu:-
1. Heat a fry pan with 2 tsps of oil. Fry manathakkali vathal till they pop up. Drain on the oil and keep aside.
2. In the remaining oil add mustard seeds and when it splutters add curry leaves and whole red chillies (cut into halves)
3. Now add pearl onions and garlic. Fry for 5 minutes in low flame. Close with a lid.
4. When they turn pale add the spices powder, tamarind paste and salt.
5. Add one cup of water, close and cook for 2 more minutes.
6. Now add the ground mixture of spices, jaggery and fried manathakkali vathal.
7. Check for taste and allow it to boil for few minutes.
8. When gravy becomes thick and you get your expected consistency, switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl.
9. Serve along with rice and chutta appalam.
Other puzhi kuzhambu recipes in my website are