Maavadu Pickle recipe which you can prepare in the beginning of the mango season. “Maavadu” is a Tamil word which represents the young tender raw mangoes. So we get these maavadu (young tender mangoes) only in the beginning of the season, whereas best and good quality of ripen mangoes comes at the end of the season.
This is a pickle prepared almost in all bhramin houses during the season and preserved throughout the year in large “Jaadis”. It tastes heavenly with curd rice and this maavadu pickle reduces the burden of cooking to some extent. You can follow the below steps carefully, prepare and preserve without touching with wet hands, this pickle will come for one year till the next season.
Even more pickle recipes are as follows:-
4. Lemon pickle
Prepare and enjoy the taste of maavadu by following the easy method given below.
Maavadu Pickle recipe – Ingredients:-
- tender mangoes / maavadu – 1kg (around 15 tumblers in a 200ml tumbler)
- Crystal salt- 1 tumbler
- Chilli powder – 100 gms (1/2 – 3/4 tumbler)
- Mustard seeds – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Gingelly oil – 4 tblsp (caster oil can also be used as per wish)
Maavadu Pickle recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly wash maavadu well along with stalk portion and clean with a dry cloth so that no water is left over.
2. Secondly take a big bowl and mix maavadu with salt, gingelly oil and turmeric powder and keep it for 1 day. (You can also use one tea spoon of caster oil to spread over the mangoes at first which is optional )
3. Next day grind mustard seeds into a powder in a mixie, add red chilli powder to it and mix this to maavadu. Mix well with a laddle, close it and keep it.
3. Shake well every day once or twice or mix with a laddle for 8-10 days. Now maavadu will ooze out a lot of water.
4. The longer the mangoes get soaked the tastier they become.
5. Serve as side dish along with curd rice .