Lady’s finger sambar recipe | Vendaikkai | Bhindi Is prepared using bhindi with toor dal, tamarind, sambar powder, onion, garlic, tomato and salt.
- ladys finger/ Vendaikkai – 1/4 kg
- toor dal/ thuvaram paruppu – 1 cup (cooked)
- onion – 2 tblsp (chopped)
- garlic/ poondu – 2 tblsp (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- sambar powder – 1 tsp (see Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder Recipe
- turmeric powder/ manjal thool – 1/4 tsp
- salt/ uppu – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungaayam – 1/4 tsp
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
1. Wash, clean with a towel and chop lady’s fingers. Here we should chop it slantingly as shown in the photo. Chop onion, garlic and tomatoes. Cook toor dal in a pressure cooker with turmeric powder for one whistle. Once when pressure is released take it in a bowl and keep aside.
2. Heat one tsp of oil in a pan and add half a tsp of mustard seeds and when it splutters add one tsp of urad dal and asafoetida. When it turns golden yellow
3. Add chopped onion, garlic and curry leaves. Sauté for a few minutes till it turns pale.
4. Now add chopped tomatoes and fry again.
5. Now add chopped lady’s fingers and sauté for a few minutes in low flame.
6. Stir continuously till it starts to turn colour and the stickiness of the vegetable leaves. (nearly 5 minutes) When veggies turns colour and it starts to stick to the bottom of the pan (you can see in the centre of the fry pan in the photo below)
7. Now you can add tamarind juice along with salt.
8. When it boils add sambar powder and turmeric powder. Close and cook till raw smell leaves and it becomes thick.
9. When sambar becomes thick, check for taste and consistency. Add water if needed.
10. Now add cooked toor dal, mix well and allow to boil.
11. When sambar is ready, transfer to a serving bowl and serve as side dish for rice.