Lady’s finger rice | Vendaikkai Sadham recipe with step by step photos that can be made for lunch. You can use any variety of rice short grain or long grain. I have prepared in an electric cooker. Lady’s finger is an all time favourite vegetable which also has many health benefits. It is also known as Vendaikkai and okra.
If you are looking for more lady’s fingers recipes then check Vendaikkai puzhi kuzhambu, Lady’s finger sambar, Lady’s finger fry, Lady’s finger chutney, punjabi style Lady’s finger gravy, Lady’s finger North Indian style Masala , Vendaikkai mor Kuzhambu , stuffed lady’s finger fry Chettinad Vendaikkai Pachadi , Vendaikkai varuval, Chettinad vendaikkai-Mochai Mandi.
Lady’s finger rice | Vendaikkai Sadham recipe – Ingredients:-
To make paste:-
- garlic cloves / poondu pal – 3 number
- ginger / inji – 1/2 inch (chopped)
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1/2 tsp
- green cardomom / elakkai – 1
- cloves / kirambu – 2 number
- cinnamon / pattai – 1/2 inch
- oil – 2 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- salt / uppu – to taste
- onion – 1 (chopped lengthwise)
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- green chilly / pachai milagai – 1 (slit)
- lady’s finger – 250 grams (chopped)
- mint / pudina – 1/4 cup (finely chopped)
- lemon juice – 1/2 fruit
For cooking rice:-
- basmathi rice – 1 cup
- water – 3.5 cups
- cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- star anise – 1
1. Wash and soak basmati rice in water for 30 minutes.
2. Make a paste of the ingredients given under “to make paste” by adding little water in a mixie.
3. Drain water from basmati rice.
4. Add water (3.5 cups), star anise, cumin seeds and soaked basmati rice to an electric cooker and switch on to cook.
5. Meanwhile heat 2 tsps of vegetable oil in a fry pan. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add curry leaves, green chilly and chopped onion and sauté till it turns pale.
6. Now add the prepared paste and sauté till the raw smell leaves.
7. Now add red chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
8. Add chopped lady’s fingers and sauté.
9. When it is fried well and turns colour, add chopped mint leaves.
10. Now switch off the electric cooker. Rice will be half cooked.
11. Add the sautéd ingredients of lady’s finger to it and mix well.
12. Close and again switch on the electric cooker.
13. When it comes to warm, open it, add lemon juice and mix well.
14. Serve hot with any raita or kuzhambu of your wish.