Lady’s finger | Bhindi | Vendaikkai puzhi kuzhambu recipe is a tasty thick kuzhambu prepared with tender lady’s finger which is called as “Vendaikkai” in tamil, with onion, tomato, sambar powder, tamarind and salt. Health benefits of Lady’s fingers. This is used as side dish for rice.
We have already prepare many dishes with lady’s fingers, including a sambar. It is Lady finger sambar recipe | Vendaikkai | Bhindi, where we add cooked toor dal along with the kuzhambu. Now let us see how to prepare this puzhi kuzhambu by following these easy steps given below.
Vendaikkai puzhi kuzhambu recipe – Ingredients:-
- lady’s finger/ Bhindi/ vendaikkai – 1/4 kg (chopped)
- Onion – 1 (finely chopped)
- garlic cloves/ poondu – few
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- tamarind paste – 1 tsp
- salt – to taste
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- sambar powder – 1 tsp – see Chettinad Sambar powder | செட்டிநாடு சாம்பார் பொடி
Vendaikkai puzhi kuzhambu recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, pepper and asafoetida – a pinch in every ingredient
- curry leaves – few
Vendaikkai puzhi kuzhambu recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Wash, pat dry and chop lady’s fingers, onion,garlic and tomatoes.
2. Heat oil in a fry pan, add the ingredients under seasoning.
3. When it splutters, add chopped onions, garlic and tomatoes.
4. When it turns colour add chopped lady’s fingers and fry for few minutes.
5. Stir continuously without braking the vegetables. When it starts to stick to the pan, add tamarind paste along with salt and water.
6. Close with lid and cook for a few minutes. Add sambar powder.
7. Again close and cook, till raw smell leaves the pan, and lady’s fingers absorbs salt and spices. Switch off stove and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve as side dish for rice.