Kudo millet, Broken wheat, green gram sprout Pongal recipe is prepared for breakfast with healthy sprouts of green gram along with millets and broken wheat. Normally we use moong dal along with rice to prepare pongal. I just gave a try using moong dal sprouts along with kudo millet which is also called as varagu arisi in tamil and broken wheat today and it turned out well. So I am sharing the recipe with you.
- kudo millet/ varagu arisi – 1 cup
- broken wheat/ godhumai ravai – 1 cup
- green gram sprout/ mulai kattiya paasi payaru – 1 cup
- water – 7.5 cups (1:2.5 in ratio)
- salt/ uppu – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida/ perungaayam – 1/4 tsp
- green chillies – 2 slit
- onion – 1 chopped
- curry leaves/ karuvepilai – few
- ginger/ inji – 1 tsp chopped
- ghee – 1 tsp
- dry fruits (badam, cashew and grapes) – few
1. Heat kudo millet/varagu arisi and broken wheat for a few minutes in a pan separately till it is hot to touch.
2. Add hot kudo millet, broken wheat and green gram sprout in a pressure cooker. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, asafoetida, chopped ginger, green chillies, chopped onions and curry leaves. Saute for a few minutes.
3. Add it to the pressure cooker along with required salt and water.
4. Close and keep for 2 to 3 whistles.
5. Heat a pan, add one tsp of ghee and fry dry fruits to golden brown. Garnish Pongal with it and serve along with desired chutney.