Kovaikkai sambar recipe is a tasty side dish prepared with ivy gourd, onion, tomato, toor dal, sambar powder, tamarind and salt. For even more Kovaikkai recipes in my website click on the following links.
Kovaikkai sambar recipe – Ingredients:-
- tindora / kovaikkai / ivy gourd – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- toor dal – 1/2 cup (100 gram)
- turmeric Powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- sambar powder – 1 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 3/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
Kovaikkai sambar recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
- curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
Kovaikkai sambar recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all wash and chop Kovaikkai, tomato and onion. Then add the chopped vegetables along with toor dal and 1/4 tea spoon of turmeric powder in a pressure cooker and cook for one whistle.
2. Meanwhile take the three ingredients sambar powder, tamarind paste and salt in a container. Add one cup of water, mix well and keep it ready.
3. Once when pressure is released, open the pressure cooker. Now all the ingredients inside will be well cooked.
4. Secondly add the prepared sambar powder mix to the cooked ingredients and boil once again in medium flame for 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a serving bowl and keep it ready.
5. Finally heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden switch off the stove and add asafoetida and curry leaves.
6. Pour the seasoning into the prepared Kovaikkai sambar and serve as side dish along with rice.