Kovaikkai Masala recipe | Tindora | Ivy gourd curry Is prepared using Ivy gourd with spices, salt and grated coconut to serve as side dish for rice. Healthy and very tasty recipe . Other names for kovaikkai are Ivy gourd, tindora, kunduri in Bengali and dondakaya available throughout India. It is eaten as a curry, by deep frying it along with spices, stuffing with masalas and as sambars too. It is rich in iron, vitamin B2.
- ivy gourd/ tindora/ kovaikkai – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- red chilly powder/ milagai podi – 1 tsp
- coriander powder/ malli podi – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder/ manjal podi – 1/2 tsp
- grated coconut – 1 tblsp
- salt/ uppu – to taste
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds/ kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal/ ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- curry leaves/ karuveppilai – few
1. Heat one tsp of oil in a pan.
2. Add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden brown,
3. Add curry leaves and chopped onions and fry.
4. Now add chopped kovaikkai and fry for a few minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water and close with a lid and allow to cook for five minutes. Open and stir at frequent interval.
5. When the vegetable is cooked well and becomes soft, add red chilly powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well and close for two more minutes till the raw smell of the powders leaves the pan.
6. Now add grated coconut and mix well.
7. When the masala becomes thick switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl. Serve along with rice as side dish.