Kothavarangai Pachadi recipe | Cluster beans curry can be served as side dish for Cooking rice , Idli or Chapathi . This is prepared with kothavarangai / seenivarangai / cluster beans with Botanical name – Cyamopsis tetragonoloba along with toor dal, onion, tomato, sambar powder, tamarind juice and salt. Seasoning is done with one tsp of oil, mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves. Cluster beans is a powerhouse of nutrition, abundant with protein, minerals, vitamins and dietary fiber. It helps in treating anemia, diabetics, cardio health, bone strength and blood circulation.
- kothavarangai / cluster beans – 1/4 kg
- toor dal – 1/2 cup
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- sambar powder – 1 tsp Authentic Chettinad Sambar Powder
- tamarind – lemon size (juice extracted) or 1 tsp of tamarind paste Tamarind Paste Preparation
- salt – to taste
- veg oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – pinch
1. Chop kothavarangai into small pieces.
2. Cook kothavarangai and toor dal with one drop of oil, turmeric powder and water.
3. Chop onion and tomato and keep it ready.
4. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters add urad dal. When it turns golden add asafoetida and chopped onion. When it turns pale all curry leaves and chopped tomatoes.
5. Now add cooked kothavarangai and toor dal.
6. Add sambar powder, turmeric extract and salt.
7. Add one cup of water and keep it in low flame for few minutes till raw smell leaves.
8. Add one tsp of ghee and serve along with rice.