Coriander Thokku recipe | Dhaniya | Kothamalli Thokku recipe is a condensed form of the healthy herb coriander to consume as side dish for idli, dosa or rice. You can choose this recipe when you get lots of coriander leaves from market or from your garden. When you decide to condense large amount of coriander you try this recipe. Coriander is called as “Dhaniya” in Hindi and it is an edible herb common throughout India and it is used for garnishing food items, preparing chutney and many more dishes. “Thokku” is the word commonly used for dishes prepared by condensing a large amount of ingredients.
It is a rich source of calcium, stimulates digestion, used in the treatment of inflammation, high cholesterol levels, anemic, mouth ulcers, eye care and blood sugar disorders. When you have a lot of coriander at home, you can prepare this thokku, and preserve it in refrigerator for 10 – 15 days. This can be used as side dish for rice, Idli’s and dosai.
Kothamalli Thokku recipe – Ingredients:-
- Kothamalli | coriander – 1 big bunch
- red chillies / vara milagai – 4 number
- tamarind / puzhi – 1 small ball (half the size of a lemon)
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- salt – to taste
- oil – 3 tsp
Kothamalli Thokku recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly remove the roots, wash, clean and cut coriander leaves into 2 or 3 inch pieces.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and roast red chillies, tamarind and asafoetida.
3. Further allow it to cool to room temperature and grind along with coriander leaves and salt. Do not add water.
4. Thirdly heat 2 tea spoons of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add ground coriander mix and saute in low flame for few minutes without sticking to pan.
5.Saute till oil leaves on the sides of the pan and gives nice aroma.
6. Finally allow it to cool to room temperature and then store in a bottle and refrigerate it and can be used for 10-15 days. This side dish tastes very good with curd rice.
Even more varieties of side dish with coriander in my blog are