Kondaikkadalai | Channa Sundal recipe | கொண்டைகடலை சுண்டல் will mostly be prepared as prasadham in almost all temples all over India. We make this Sundal mainly during festivals like Ganesh Chathurthi, Saraswathi Pooja and during Navarathiri Golu.
Channa has numerous health benefits. We get fresh green channa in North India during winter season. But we get this legume as dried channa all over India throughout the year. We can see many varieties of channa in the market. It is available in many colours such as white, light brown, green and dark brown and also in different sizes. Dark brown channa has more nutritional benefits than white channa. Choose channa of your own choice and prepare Sundal following the below instructions.
Other sundal recipes
Preparation Time:- 20 minutes
To Serve:- 2
Kondaikkadalai Sundal recipe – Ingredients:-
- kondaikkadalai / channa – 1 cup (180 grams)
- salt / uppu – to taste
- lemon juice – 1 tsp (optional)
- grated coconut – 2 tblsp
Kondaikkadalai Sundal recipe – Ingredients for Seasoning:-
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida / perungaayam – 1/4 tsp
- Red chillies / vara milagai – 1
- Green chilly / pachai milagai – 1
- Curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
Kondaikkadalai Sundal recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. Firstly wash and soak kondaikkadalai in water for 5-6 hours. If you need it in the morning soak at night. If you need it for the evening soak in the morning.
2. Secondly cook in pressure cooker with required water for 5 minutes in low flame after a whistle.
3. Further heat oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add urad dal and when it turns golden, add asafoetida, chillies and curry leaves.
4. Then add cooked kondaikkadalai along with required salt and sauté for few minutes. Finally add grated coconut and mix well. Add lemon juice as well, if you need its taste.
5. Give as prasadham for god and serve for the devotees in paper cups.