Kollu Podi recipe | Horse gram | கொள்ளு பொடி is a podi prepared where horse gram is the main ingredient. Kollu is usually used to feed horses, which gives strength and energy and helps in loosing weight. So people who wishes to loose weight can consume this horse gram which is a very healthy diet. There is a Tamil proverb “elachavanukku ellu, koluthavanukku kollu” which explains that it can be used for weight loss.
This podi can also be prepared using fried tamarind to enhance its tanginess with some amount of pepper corns. I’ll post you soon.
It is a traditional siddha cuisine, a food with medicinal qualities. You can consume as whole seeds, or as sprouts which is an excellent source of iron. Now let us see the preparation of podi using kollu paruppu.
Kollu Podi recipe – Ingredients:-
- Kollu paruppu / horse gram – 1 cup
- Red chillies – 5 number
- Garlic cloves / poondu – 5-6 numbers
- Curry leaves / karuvepilai – few
- Cumin seeds / seeragam – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida / perungaayam – 1/4 tsp
- Fried tamarind / puzhi – 1/2 lemon size (optional)
- Salt / uppu – to taste (approx -1/2 tsp)
Kollu Podi recipe – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all dry roast kollu paruppu or horse gram till it splutters and turns brown.
2. Secondly heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and fry red chillies, garlic and curry leaves till they turn colour and becomes crispy.
3. Thirdly in the same pan, roast cumin seeds, asafoetida and salt and spread all the roasted ingredients in a plate.
4. While the roasted ingredients were cooled down to room temperature grind them in a mixie to get a fine powder.
5. You can mix this powder with gingely oil or ghee and serve along with rice, idli or dosa.
For even more podi recipes in my blog click on the following links:-
Other kollu paruppu recipes are:-