Kollu paruppu chutney recipe is prepared from kollu paruppu also known as horse gram which is a wonderful legume rich in calcium and has a lot of medicinal value. We get enough energy and strength but no fat. There is a tamil proverb “இளைத்தவனுக்கு எள்ளு. கொழுத்தவனுக்கு கொள்ளு” which explains about its use in weight reduction. It also helps to reduce cold.
Other recipes with kollu paruppu in my website are as follows
Cuisine: South Indian
Preparation time: 30 minutes
To serve: 4 persons
video link in tamil:-
Kollu paruppu chutney – Ingredients:-
- horse gram / horse gram sprouts – 1 cup (soaked in water overnight)
- sambar onions / pearl onions – 10 to 15 number (peel skin and chop)
- garlic / poondu – 8-10 cloves
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- sambar powder – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- tamarind paste / puzhi – 1 tsp (or juice from lemon size tamarind)
- salt – to taste
Kollu paruppu chutney – Ingredients for seasoning:-
- oil – 1 tsp
- mustard seeds / kadugu – 1/2 tsp
- urad dal / ulundham paruppu – 1 tsp
- asafoetida / perungayam – 1/4 tsp
- curry leaves – few
- red chilly – 2 number
Kollu paruppu chutney – Method of preparation:-
1. First of all soak horse gram in water overnight. Cook soaked horse gram / horsegram sprouts in a pressure cooker for two minutes in low flame after you get a whistle.
2. Drain water using a filter and keep the drained water aside.
3. Secondly cool cooked kollu paruppu to room temperature and grind it in a blender coarsly by adding little water.
4. On the other hand heat one tea spoon of oil in a fry pan and add mustard seeds and when it splutters add urad dal and when it turns golden add asafoetida.
5. After that add chopped onions, garlic, red chilly and curry leaves one by one and saute for 2 minutes.
Kollu paruppu chutney recipe – Method of preparation:-
6. Similarly add chopped tomatoes and saute for 2 more minutes.
7. After that add drained water and close with a lid and allow it to cook for 2 to 3 minutes in low flame.
8. After 2 to 3 minutes open the fry pan and now almost onions, garlic and tomatoes will be cooked well and becomes soft. Further add sambar powder, turmeric powder, salt and tamarind paste one by one.
9. Mix well and finally add coarsly ground kollu mix which you have already kept ready. Keep the stove in low flame for 2 minutes till raw smell leaves. More over this chutney will stick to the bottom of the pan and so stir at intravels and mix the ingredients well.
10. Most importantly when it reaches your desired consistency transfer to a serving bowl and serve as side dish for idli, dosa, roti or rice. Try this wonderful side dish and give your valuble comments.