Katharikkai masala recipe | brinjal masala is a tasty side dish for rice or paratha prepared with brinjal, onion, tomato, red chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin-fennel seeds powder and salt in oil without adding water. It goes well with curd rice and also with Phulka Roti. This is a South Indian dish with egg plant or brinjal which is called as “baingan” in Hindi and “katharikkai” in Tamil.
- brinjal / katharikkai / baingan – 1/4 kg
- onion – 1 (chopped)
- tomato – 1 (chopped)
- curry leaves / Karuvepilai – few
- fennel seeds / sombu – 1 tsp
- oil – 2 tsp
- red chilly powder / milagai podi – 1 tsp
- turmeric powder / manjal podi – 1/4 tsp
- cumin-fennel seeds powder – 1/2 tsp
- salt – to taste
1. Chop brinjal into lengthwise pieces and put it in water.
2. Heat one tsp of oil in a fry pan and add fennel seeds.
3. When it splutters add chopped onion and curry leaves.
4. When chopped onions turned pale add chopped tomatoes.
5. When tomatoes were half cooked add chopped brinjal.
6. Sauté for few minutes and close with a lid and keep in low flame for 10 to 15 minutes in low flame.
7. When brinjal becomes soft and well cooked add red chilly powder, turmeric powder, cumin-fennel seeds powder and salt. Do not add water.
8. Sauté well without sticking to the pan. Close and cook for 2-3 more minutes till oil leaves the sides of the pan.
9. Switch off the stove and transfer to a serving bowl.